Ensuring that all areas of my final pieces retain a consistency.

Ensuring that all areas of my final pieces retain a consistency.

Developing a technique for folding the grey board nets.

Developing a technique for folding the grey board nets.

Final box holding the Printed Experiments and its sliding case.

Final box holding the Printed Experiments and its sliding case.

The finished box and printed experiments.

The finished box and printed experiments.

The final elements to my Extended Major Project.

The final elements to my Extended Major Project.

This is the final body of work which I have produced for my Extended Major Project. It consists of nearly all the elements that I outlined to have produced slightly earlier in the project. Two folders containing research and a development of ideas, concepts and designs. The Printed Experiments that were used or were going to be used as a means of retrieving certain results. A final copy of my development work throughout the project, and a final, perfect bound book that acted as a comprehensive guide to the whole project.

After analysing quite a varied set of results, te Hypothesis was answered yes in general.

After analysing quite a varied set of results, the Hypothesis was answered yes in general.

I was able to answer yes to the original Hypothesis which I set out to explore after analysing the results. And I was able to say that the more physical elements of the Printed pieces I tested in my experiments were the more successful when it came to showing evidence of effecting human behaviour. The visual elements such as variations of type and image were not as convincing, and would be more effective if the size of my experiment was much bigger.

Finally being ablt to draw conclusions upon the experiments.

Finally being ablt to draw conclusions upon the experiments.

Since developing the latent fingerprints from across all three experiments, I have used my system of recording and visualising them to be able to analyse each result individually. It was found that results visualised on certain paper types were more prominent than others, because of their effectiveness in reacting to the Ninydrin solution used.

Due to a delay of shipment, my Ninhydrin spray has arrived at last...

Due to a delay of shipment, my Ninhydrin spray has arrived at last...

Because of a delayed shipment from the US, my order of Ninhydrin from WA Products Ltd arrived only today. The chance that I took to approach the Forensic Science department over at Bournemouth University was a smart move. If I had waited for this delivery, my days left to complete the project would have been very scarce indeed! As agreed by myself and Alex Otto, head of the Forensic department, it seems fair to give the University my order of Ninhydrin in return for the Ninhydrin that I was lucky enough to get access to a few weeks ago.

The prototype of the second printed peice which visulaises the results from experiment 3.

The prototype of the second printed piece which visualises the results from experiment 3.

A prototype for the second printed piece was completed today, and the final files have been sent to print after making some final alterations. Using a system designed to visualise each fingerprint based on its surface area and pressure, I was able to map the levels of interaction across each of the separate components that make up the Printed Experiments.

Two colours were used as a way of differentiating between the two slightly different Printed Experiments that were distributed in different environments as a means of receiving contact from people. The results displayed in grey represent the fingerprints found on Printed Experiment 1, which was sent to family and friends from home, and the results displayed in blue represent the fingerprints retrieved from Printed Experiment 2 which was left in a Hairdressing Salon.

Results will be analysed from this printed piece in an attempt to answer the original Hypothesis, as well as providing a point of reference to the human interaction of my two printed experiments. Personally, I’m slightly unhappy about the aesthetic that it holds, and feels a little alienated from the original printed experiment. Three weeks have passed since I designed the initial Printed Experiments, and because of this, I feel that the consistency as to the look and feel of this second book has fallen slightly. However, it’s outcome was controlled by a system of rules, designed to best communicate the areas of human interaction, and so on this level, I think the way that it looks is as relevant as every other part of this project.

A small, professional binding company in East London.

A small, professional binding company in East London.

Stumbled across this neat little binding shop whilst wondering the streets of London. Was amazed by the intensity of the work that was going on here. It had a unique feel about it which retained many of the traditional techniques and processes of book binding. This place really felt pure, honest and unspoilt, where the workforce consisted of both young and old craftsmen and women, all working intensely on single, one off jobs. I mentioned this place to nick at ODD, and he mentioned that they work quite closely with this book binders, especially when they need one off promotional items made for a client.